Thursday, December 18, 2008

Crap. CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!


Oh, I had such hopes for this year. Early on something said that I needed a back-up. Bill is not healthy enough to take on my responsibilities in the Angel group. He's been a tremendous help, and frankly I don't think I could keep up without his help. But there's no way he could do it on his own.
and
One of my responsibilities is to pass out penny jars and collect their contents once a week. I set it up so that Bill would drive me, and Ed would accompany me into each business. I did this primarily because I didn't want to have people watch me empty these jars and walk off by myself with no protection. It's worked well. We walk into a place, Ed and I, and I empty the jar into a bag, replace the bag and the two of us walk away. We pass the bag to Bill. He empties it and gives it back. Ed and I then either walk or ride with Bill to the next location.
Now last week Bill said to me, "Take Jon instead." No, I told him I wanted Ed because everyone has seen Ed at my side. If something happens to me, they'll know they can trust Ed. As I'm saying this, I'm thinking, 'One week left. What's going to happen?'
and
Call it a premonition or call it coincidence.
and
Monday Chicago was hit by an ice storm. Should I leave it there? Okay, I'll take one more step. It kicked my ass good. One step too far and I landed on the ground. Ed helped me up. Just barely. I can barely walk. I'm not sure if I have a severe sprain, or if I fractured something. I have no insurance. I'm not going to the doctor any sooner than I have to. But, here I am, with my foot wrapped up, and not doing much of anything. I can barely walk. Again. I can barely walk.
and
AHHH!
and
I have penny jars to empty and three more canned food drives to collect.
And you know what? George told me she got 22 calls today from people looking for help. She said, and I quote, "I'm going to have to turn people away." We've never done that before. But we are literally running out of food! I am upset to say the least. I have no idea what I am going to do to keep us going.
and
And I had all these plans. I've said it over and over again. After we are done with our clients we split what is left between two local pantries. Because we do, I beg for as much as we can get our hands on. Donations will dry up after Christmas. The need won't. I had plans. I could see it in my head. Every year the Salvation Army pull their trailer up outside the warehouse, and take our food. The same thing with the St. Vincent DePaul Society from St. B. This year the St. Vincent DePaul Society pantry from St. W. called us asking for help. They've donated to us before although we've never reciprocated with donations of food. So here I am, imagining that we are splitting this huge amount of food between three pantries. We barely had any clients this year. Until today that is. God only knows if we can help those people we do have. I am disappointed. No, I am pissed off. I can't get up and do anything about it. Maybe make phone calls. I've got to think this out. Crap!

and

I'd ask you dear readers to send food my way, but I know you are too far. Even so, when the local food pantry comes a calling, donate, please. The need this year is great.

1 comment:

kbear said...

I'll at least say prayers for you that you get more goods...take care of yourself. Hugz~kbear